Drummelzier

   DRUMMELZIER, a parish, in the county of Peebles; containing 228 inhabitants, of whom 63 are in the village, 2 miles (E.) from Rachan-Mill. This parish, in ancient documents Drumellar and Drumeler, anciently formed part of the parish of Tweedsmuir, from which it was separated in 1643; and in 1742 it was augmented by the annexation of part of the parish of Dawick, of which the remainder was added to Stobo. It appears to have been from a very remote period the property of the family of Tweedie, of whom Sir James Tweedie, to whose memory there is an inscription, dated 1617, over the entrance of a cemetery attached to the church, was the last member. The parish is about fourteen miles in length, and from three to four in average breadth, and is bounded on the north for about eight miles by the river Tweed, which, also, in the upper portion divides it into two parts. It comprises 17,386 acres, of which 1030 are arable, 189 meadow and low pasture, 520 woodland and plantations, and 16,647 hilly moor, affording tolerable pasture for sheep and cattle. The surface is generally mountainous, but between the hills and the river are some fine tracts of level pasture; the hills are clothed with grass and heath, and the scenery is enlivened by some stately timber, and thriving plantations of modern growth. The soil is sharp, and the principal crops are oats and barley, with a few acres of wheat, peas, potatoes, and turnips; the system of agriculture is in an improved state; the lands are well drained, and inclosed chiefly with fences of stone. Considerable attention is paid to the management of the dairy-farms, and to the rearing and pasture of sheep and cattle; about 200 milch-cows are kept, and 7000 sheep, chiefly of the black-faced breed, are fed in the pastures. The rateable annual value of the parish is £2993.
   The woods are oak, chesnut, sycamore, and larch, and on the older lands are many trees of luxuriant growth; the plantations are Scotch fir and larch, intermixed with various forest trees. The substrata are mostly whinstone with veins of quartz, white and very compact limestone, and slate; but no quarries have yet been opened. Dawick, a seat in the parish lately rebuilt, is a handsome mansion in the antique style of architecture, situated in a well-planted demesne, containing a fine collection of pine-trees from the Himalaya mountains and California. The village, which is irregularly built, is pleasant, and is chiefly inhabited by persons employed in agriculture. The river Tweed and its tributaries abound with trout, and salmon are also found in the former from September till March. The parish is ecclesiastically in the presbytery of Peebles and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of the family of Trotter; the minister's stipend is £192, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, and at an elevation of 800 feet above the sea, is an ancient structure in good repair, and adapted for a congregation of 200 persons. The parochial school affords instruction to about thirty children; the master has a salary of £32, with £10 fees, and a house and garden. At Kingledoors, in the upper part of the parish, was an ancient chapel dedicated to St. Cuthbert, the early evangelist of Tweeddale. There are remains of two castles: the one called Tinnes or Thanes Castle, of which there is no authentic record, was of quadrilateral form, with circular towers at the angles, and walls of six feet in thickness; and the other, called Drummelzier Place, is supposed to have been the baronial seat of the Tweedie family. On the summit of one of the mountains, are vestiges of a road thought to have been part of the Roman road communicating with the line from Falkirk to Carlisle. Near the junction of the Powsail rivulet with the Tweed, is a spot said to have been the grave of Merlin.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Clan Tweedie — Crest badge …   Wikipedia

  • Drumelzier — village Drumelzier (pronounced drummellier ), is a village on the B712 in the Tweed Valley in the Scottish Borders. The area of the village is extensive and includes the settlements of Wrae, Stanhope, Mossfennan and Kingledoors. To the north is… …   Wikipedia

  • Tweedie — This is a famous Scottish territorial surname, although well recorded in Ireland. Recorded in the spellings of Tweedie, Tweedy, Twiddy, and even Tweekie, the name derives from the lands of Tweedie in the parish of Stonehouse (Lanarkshire). Legend …   Surnames reference

  • Tweedy — This is a famous Scottish territorial surname, although well recorded in Ireland. Recorded in the spellings of Tweedie, Tweedy, Twiddy, and even Tweekie, the name derives from the lands of Tweedie in the parish of Stonehouse (Lanarkshire). Legend …   Surnames reference

  • Twiddy — This is a famous Scottish territorial surname, although also recorded in Ireland, but of Scottish origin. Recorded in the spellings of Tweedie and Tweedy, with the English forms Twiddy and Twidey, the name derives from the lands of Tweedie in the …   Surnames reference

  • Drumelzier — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Forografía de Drumelzier. Drumelzier (pronunciado drummellier , ver yogh) es una localidad situada en el valle del río Tweed, en la región de los Borders escoceses, en el Reino Unido …   Wikipedia Español

  • Andrew Baxter — (1686/1687 ndash;23 April 1750) was a Scottish metaphysician born in Aberdeen and educated at King s College, University of Aberdeen. He maintained himself by acting as tutor to noblemen s sons. From 1741 to 1747 he lived with Lord Blantyre and… …   Wikipedia

  • Biggar —    BIGGAR, a parish and market town, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 12 miles (S. E.) from Lanark, on the road from Dumfries to Edinburgh; containing 1865 inhabitants, of whom 1395 are in the town. The original name of this place, as… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Broughton, Glenholm, and Kilbucho —    BROUGHTON, GLENHOLM, and KILBUCHO, a parish, in the county of Peebles; containing 929 inhabitants, of whom 294 are in Glenholm, 361 in Kilbucho, and 274 in Broughton, including 85 in the village of Broughton, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Rachan… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Dunse —    DUNSE, a market town, burgh of barony, and parish, in the county of Berwick, 15 miles (W.) from Berwick, and 42 (S. E.) from Edinburgh; containing, with the late quoad sacra district of Boston, 3162 inhabitants. This place derived its name… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.